Monday, January 19, 2009

Lift Every Voice and Sing

So today as we all know is MLK day.

Now I have to give you a little piece of my history...
I was born in Alabama and moved to Seattle 10 years ago. I lived half of my life in a place with deep history in violence and hatred towards others who werent like me. I was raised to not see color and to love others for WHO they are not WHAT they are. While this was not the same for others around me I am glad that I was raised they way I was

Moving to Seattle from small town Alabama was a SHOCK to say the least. I was 10 years old and went to a very diverse private Catholic school. Here I learned more about the rich History of where I was born and began to love it more because of what I learned from others who live 2000 miles away.

I am proud to say that I have been to that bus stop where Ms. Rosa Parks was arrested. I am proud to say that I have been to Dexter Ave Baptist Church where Martin Luther King Jr. preached. I am proud to say that I have been on the steps on the Alabama State Capital where so many a time people stood there are pleaded for the RIGHTS to be given to them.

Although I am a blond hair blue eyed southern girl I LOVE the history that I grew up in. Nothing can change it and that is fine by me. I love knowing all of the words to the Black National Anthem and crying everytime I hear the I Have A Dream Speech. Especially now that Obama will be sworn in tomorrow.

I am not trying to be someone Im not. I dont pretend to be black nor will I ever. I feel that their history is our history. I love everyone for the people they are on the inside.

Just take time to remember today where we have come from and where we can be. Even though we have a Black president we still have a ways to go before we can say we are all equal.

Lift ev'ry voice and sing,
Till earth and heaven ring.
Ring with the harmonies of Liberty;
Let our rejoicing rise,
High as the list'ning skies,
Let it resound loud as the rolling sea.
Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us,
Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us;
Facing the rising sun of our new day begun,
Let us march on till victory is won.


I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.-MLK

No comments: